The Academic Skills Centre, located on the first floor of the Main Library, is a place where undergraduate students develop their mathematical, academic writing and general academic skills. The Skills Centre aims to help you develop as a effective and independant learner.
The Academic Skills Centre will:
- provide you with learning and academic skills to help you achieve the best possible results from your studies
- publish a diary of events
- run a series of workshops covering a range of skills, including academic writing and techniques for effective learning in the classroom
- offer bookable one to one appointments with our skills advisors to help you develop personal strategies for improving your writing and academic skills. These can be booked via email or at the ASC office and will last a maximum of one hour. These individual sessions will be provided on a limited offer of 4 sessions per student, per academic year
- reply to all academic skills enquiries regarding the services available to students within five working days maximum.
The Academic Skills Centre will not:
- write or read your assignments for you
- offer a proof reading service
- provide or check solutions to any mathematics coursework, exercises or problems you are required to submit as part of your programme of study.
- offer any opinion on any mark that you might receive for your written work
- become involved in decisions relating to academic regulations, such as extenuating circumstances
- discuss any confidential details of issues you share with us with tutors or anyone else, without your written consent
The workshops and one to one sessions will support you with critical thinking and writing, being an effective learner, using the library, top tips for academic writing….and much much more!